Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Rapid Fire Rant: On the Style of Reviews

Each Rapid Fire Rant allows a writer to vent their spleen on a certain topic relating to gaming. Leave your thin skins at the door.

Greetings once again, gamers!

I feel that I should take this opportunity to discuss my particular reviewing style with you.

I have always been particularly irritated with games reviews which focused so heavily on the technical aspects of how the game performed, how pretty it was, etc. I'm not a big lover of charts, and I've only ever run benchmarking software twice. Seriously!

What I choose to focus on when I write a review is the emotional aspects of the game. How does it make you feel when you play it? I think that at the end of the day, that's what defines a successful game. It's also why I hate trumped up Tech Demos like Crysis.

For those of you who still don't understand what I'm driving at - watch At The Movies or whatever. Do they talk about what sort of cameras the director chose, and what engine he or she used for any 3d effects? Did they instead talk about how they connected to the characters and the situations on the screen? The gaming industry seems to be the only place where an emotional product is mainly dissected in terms of it's technical qualities. And I'm pretty sick of it.

Thanks for listening, I feel better now.

Karl is a highly opinionated host and reporter for the Rapid Fire Podcast. He is currently attending Uni, and working towards his lifetime dream of becoming a Games Developer.

No comments:

Post a Comment